About Our School
West Fresno Elementary School has an enrollment of 800 students in Transitional Kindergarten through grade five. The school is located in the south-west section of Fresno, notably, one of the oldest elementary schools in the community. Its rich culture, longstanding traditions, and life-enriching experiences have created much academic success.
West Fresno Elementary School creates a passion for lifelong learning and empowers students to value self, others, and the world.
As a soaring Eagle, I pledge to be respectful, be responsible, and be safe. I am ready to learn, I will soar for more!
Dear Eagle Community,
Welcome to the West Fresno Elementary School (WFES)! Whether you are joining us for the first time this year or have been with us for a number of years, we believe you have made the right choice for your child’s education. The West Fresno Eagle family is committed to providing your child with strong academic and co-curricular programs coupled with high standards and expectations, a dedicated staff and high levels of parent and community involvement.
At WFES, we believe that together we can help ALL students flourish successfully at West Fresno Elementary and beyond! We thank you for honoring this philosophy, as it is created to benefit and support your child in his/her experience at West Fresno Elementary School. We like to encourage parents by inspiring them to be their child’s first teacher and ongoing coach. Here are skills that will help them be successful throughout life according to research.
- The value of wanting to learn what is being taught.
- The self-discipline to practice it over and over again to learn it.
- The guidance to always do their best work.
- The attitude that if at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try again.
- The belief that their education is a priority in their life.
- Being organized and neat in their work.
- Being a responsible student both behaviorally and academically.
The school’s role is to reinforce the positive values, character and work ethic that children learn and develop at school and home. Research shows that the most important variable in a child’s success in school is the parents’ involvement in their child’s education. The following are some ways to get involved in your child’s education:
- Talk with your child every day about the specifics of what is going on at school.
- Be available to assist with homework as necessary.
- Set high standards for the work that is performed and for their future.
- Guide the development of good study skills.
- Stay in touch with the classroom teacher and ask questions. Become a team!
- Communicate your confidence and pride to your child every day.
- Proudly display and share your child’s work and progress with friends and relatives.
- Attend and participate in school activities as much as possible (PTC, SSC, ELAC, etc.).
- Volunteer in one of our many programs or a classroom if your schedule allows.
- Let us know how we can best meet the needs of your child.
We know that your child’s success is dependent upon good communication between school and home. We encourage your participation and invite you to express an idea, thought, comment or suggestion. Please feel free to contact me, or any staff member. Our office number is 559-495- 5615.
I am very excited that you will be a part of the West Fresno Eagle Family this year, and we can not wait to see your child grow to be all they can be in this world!
Dr. Felipe Mercado, Principal